Microsoft delivered a device preview with the anticipation of the Microsoft Surface Pro 4.
The Surface Pro 4 lived up to all the hype of the next generation Surface but it was not the star of the show, not by a long way. Microsoft released a litany of new devices from Phones, To the Microsoft Band and Hololens Development edition. All of these products looked fantastic, however the product that caught my eye was a surprise – Microsoft Surface Book.
This Laptop is Microsofts first foray into laptops and it from what I can see it has hit the mark. It is built out of a single billet of magnesium and has been worked on by both the Xbox team and the Surface team to allow this super powerful device into one package.
- 13.5″ “PixelSense” Display (3:2 aspect ratio), 3000×2000 (267 PPI)
- 6th-gen Intel Core CPU (i5 or i7)
- Graphics: i5 Intel HD 520; i7 NVIDIA GeForce
- SSD options: 128GB, 256GB, 512GB, 1TB
- RAM: 8GB or 16GB
- Works with OneNote and Surface Pen
- Optional Surface Dock provides expansion ports: 2 Mini DisplayPorts, 1 Gigabit Ethernet port, 4 USB 3.0 ports, 1 Audio out port
- Sensors: ambient light sensor, accelerometer, gyroscope, magnetometer
- Windows 10 Pro
- Battery life: 10 hours (per Microsoft)
- Dimensions: 12.30” x 9.14” x 0.51 – 0.90” (312.3mm x 232.1mm x 13.0 – 22.8mm)
All of that to say Microsoft is taking the game to Apple and I for one am pleased – Microsoft has finally created a device that works with its own operating system taking from the Apple mantra when the hardware and software are built together seamlessly.
If you were considering a MacBook for the near future – This little surprise from Microsoft could throw a spanner into the works. The Surface Book looks like something that could or should have come from Apple. If you decide you need to work on a tablet, you just pop it right out, and the extra battery and processing power just stays in the base.
I cannot wait to get my hands on one of these if not to just see how much you are able to get out of the device. Take a look at the video below.